Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostics > USA Cars > 2018 grand cherokee why i need to use so...
2018 grand cherokee why i need to use some 12+8 conectors?

991 Views 1 Replies Latest reply: 2021-06-06 08:35:43

•   Level 1   
    (5) points
    DSR
    2021-06-06 02:33:20
     can not read or eraise codes on 2018 grand cherokee why is that?

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2021-06-06 08:35:43 (Reply to:DSR)

Back in 2018 Fiat Chrysler of America started putting Secure Gateway Modules into their vehicles , and these modules have a 12 pin connector and an 8 pin connector. These modules are supposed to prevent unauthorized access and input to their vehicle systems , and are hidden in various positions in FCA vehicles. In order for the 12 plus 8 (SGM bypass connector to work) you still need to have an active update period on a listed Autel tool, and initially have a WIFI connection for the tool to connect to Autel's server for some downloaded access code just to access codes and live data. I don't recall that just to autoscan and read codes and live data that other than an active update subscription and an initial internet connection to Autel's server , that the 12+8 connector is required at all to output codes and data, but it is need it  if you are trying to clear, codes , or do inputs like activate things , or coding.
      If you have a qualified listed Autel tool within it's update period and sign up for FCA's Auto Auth and pay $50 a year, you might not need to access the SGM modules behind dash and bypass it with the 12 +8 cable .
  Total1 Pages